This is a very flavoursome dish, I had a similar version in Turkey which was made with just fish. Here I have added some prawns as I think they really add to the flavour and texture. You can also make this with mince meat and pine nuts if you prefer.
Filo pastry can be a bit difficult to work with. The trick is to use it as soon as you take it out of the pack since it becomes dry and brittle very quickly. The faster you work the easier it is to handle. Don’t worry about it looking tidy, it really doesn’t matter!
- Start by making the filling. In a large frying pan bring the milk to the boil and gently poach the cod for a few minutes until it is just cooked. In a large bowl mix together the king prawns, 2 crushed garlic cloves, 2 tsp cumin, 2 tbsp chopped dill, 1 tbsp chopped coriander, 1/2 a lemon juice, 1 chopped chilli, 1/2 tsp salt and a pinch of pepper. Flake the fish into the mixture and mix gently with 2 tbsps of olive oil. Set aside.
- Prepare the filo pastry. Take a deep baking tray (aprox 30 x 25). Melt the butter and make sure you have a brush ready. Remove the filo from the pack and start by placing one layer at the bottom of the baking tray, brush the filo with butter then add another layer on top in a different direction, brush with butter then add another layer again the opposite way so that you have filo pastry overlapping on all sides of the tray.
- Place the filling in the centre and fold the sides of the filo over it. Finally cover the top with two more layers again putting butter in between. They can be scrunched up to fit do not worry about it looking neat. Place in the oven for 20 minutes until the filo is brown on top.
- While the pie is cooking, cut the avocado into pieces, finely slice the red onion and chop the peppers. Mix 1 tbsp of olive oil with the juice of 1/2 a lemon and 1 tsp of honey, season to taste. In a bowl combine the peppers with the avocado and 1 tbsp of chopped dill.
- Remove the pie from the oven and serve with the salad.
- 500g cod fillets
- 250g king prawns
- 3 tbsp chopped dill
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 250g pack fresh filo pastry
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 1 red chilli chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small red onion
- 1 red or yellow pepper
- 1 egg
- 100 ml milk
- 20g of butter
- 1 tsp of honey
Items marked with () are what we call "home ingredients" not included in each recipe bag. All other ingredients are supplied in the bag, in enough amounts for the supplied recipes.