Today, in celebration of International Bacon Day, I felt a need to pay hommage to that so simple, yet so satisfying treat; the humble bacon sarnie. There is something about the combination of a really good bread and savoury, slightly crispy, rashers of bacon that is unsurpassed when it comes to meal satisfaction.
While the other bacon recipes I posted this week (Delicious prunes in blankets! Swedish comfort food bacon pancakes!) both are amazing, the bacon sandwich surely represents the pinnacle of bacon bliss.
Combining bacon, avocado, and fresh herbs works so well. I also like to add some kick by throwing some chilli into the mix but that is obviously optional!
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Fry the bacon until crispy on a medium heat in ½ tbsp of olive oil. Drain on some kitchen towel.
- While the bacon is cooking prepare the other ingredients. Chop the coriander and chilli into small pieces. Thinly slice the avocado and squeeze over some lemon juice, for flavour and to prevent them from going brown.
- Put the rolls in the oven 5 minutes before the bacon is ready.
- When the rolls are warmed through remove from the oven and cut in half. Butter each side then fill with the bacon avocado slices, several pieces of grilled red pepper followed by the chopped chilli and a sprinkle of coriander leaves.
- Drizzle some olive oil on the top and season with pepper and salt to taste.
- Put the sandwich on a plate with the lettuce and cherry tomatoes to one side.
Serve with a lovely cup of tea.
We hope you will enjoy your International Bacon Day! How did you celebrate? Let us know in the comments below or on our Facebook Page!
- 4 seeded rolls
- 300g streaky bacon
- 1 jar roasted peppers
- 1 avocado
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 125g cherry tomatoes
- 1 red chilli (optional)
- 1 small pack coriander
- 1 small pack of watercress or mixed salad leaves
- 4 cups of tea
Items marked with () are what we call "home ingredients" not included in each recipe bag. All other ingredients are supplied in the bag, in enough amounts for the supplied recipes.