Now when winter is fast approaching there is nothing better than sitting down to a lovely warm tasty casserole. This recipe makes for a really simple yet delicious chicken one, cooked with butterbeans and thyme.
- Prepare the vegetables. Dice both the carrots and onion, crush the garlic cloves and finely chop the thyme.
- In a large casserole or frying pan that has a lid, heat the olive oil, add the chicken thighs and fry them until they are slightly browned on both sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add the onions and carrots to the remaining oil and fry gently for 5 minutes then add the garlic and thyme and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken thighs, olives, tinned tomatoes, chicken stock, butter beans (drained) and half the thyme. Season well with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil then turn down the heat and leave to simmer for 30 minutes with the lid on. Turn the thighs over after 15 minutes.
- While the casserole is cooking. Peel the potatoes, cut them into cubes and boil for 15 minutes until soft. When the potatoes are ready mash them well with 20g of butter and 50ml of milk. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When the chicken is ready stir in the remaining thyme and serve with the mashed potatoes.
Chicken and butterbean casserole with Mashed Potatoes
- Difficulty: Easy
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- 600g boneless chicken thighs
- 400ml tin of butterbeans
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 100ml chicken
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsps of olive oil
- 70g green olives
- 20g butter
- 50ml milk
Items marked with () are what we call "home ingredients" not included in each recipe bag. All other ingredients are supplied in the bag, in enough amounts for the supplied recipes.